1.30.2006

Stop and smell the roses, darling
Or, cabbage



We rarely sit still. For me, I'm still haunted by a guest speaker who came to my middle school and from what I remember, basically said us women folk would be failures if we weren't wives, executives, mothers and volunteers all wrapped up in one neat package. And I thought I had accomplished something by putting myself through grad school; clearly, I have some work to do.
I'm not sure I want to run around like a crazed, busy person constantly stressed out and missing out on all of the subtle moments. I like the quiet, contemplative times even though I have a hard time accepting that it's OK to not save the world by one's self.

This is why I'm really looking forward to creating a garden in my backyard, which, is currently a rocky and brick filled disaster. I'm going to create a space where I can sip my morning coffee, read, entertain friends and do a little gardening and cultivate tasty green things. This weekend, I was lucky enough to experience Dumbarton Oaks through the eyes of someone who is passionate about gardening, outside space and natural environments. Dumbarton is an amazing 15 acres of huge, old trees (often sculpture-like in presence), installation art, garden pools, flowers, vines, and space. Lots of space. Probably very lush and beautiful come spring time.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home